Permit holders not ready to extract sand: Udupi DC

Deputy Commissioner Priyanka Mary Francis on Tuesday threatened to revoke permits of operators who failed to resume sand mining.

She told reporters that the district administration had launched initiatives to restart sand extraction and expressed dissatisfaction over the recent controversies created by the MLA and his followers.

“The district administration had to abide by the norms set by the National Green Tribunal. Those who wanted licence for all the 170 lease holders should approach the state government, which, in turn, has received clearance from the Central government,” she explained.

‘Vested interests’

The deputy commissioner attributed the controversies to people with vested interests as 45 licence holders with approval had not resumed sand mining. Up to 37 licence holders have already paid the amount, but only five to six of them have collected the permits, she added.

While the contractors had expressed fear of extraction as they were told not to do so until all 170 lease holders had received permits, the deputy commissioner said that they had been given a deadline of three days to resume extraction. “If they fail to do so, their licence will be revoked,” she warned.

The administration will provide police security during the extraction, said the officer.

Traditional communities

“I had written to the Ministry of Environment and Forest, seeking clarification on the definition of traditional communities. I had to mention the names of communities involved in manual sand mining since before 2011,” she said and added, “It is the same in Dakshina Kannada, but no one has questioned or objected to the district administration’s decision.”

With reference to mining at the sand blocks in the non-CRZ area, the officer said that the floating of financial tender has been completed and pending for security. “Those who want sand can contact the assistant executive engineer of the PWD, Kundapur Division. A total of 40,000 metric tonnes of sand are available,” she added.

Deadline extended to Dec 17

During a meeting at her office on Tuesday evening, the officer warned 45 licence holders of revoking mining licences if the operators did not resume extraction by December 17.

She said that the distribution of sand too should begin immediately. “Sand crisis is on the increase in the district and the public are suffering,” she reminded.

“Of the 45 holders who sought licence, 11 have got licence, 26 have paid the royalty, eight are yet to do so. The 45 operators should provide the necessary documents and begin extraction by December 17,” she ordered.

Superintendent Laxman Nimbargi promised to take action against illegal sand mining near the Manipur bridge, Udyavara and Kurkalu in Kaup.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry

Comments:

Permit holders not ready to extract sand: Udupi DC

0 comments

Write the first review for this !