Baby dies in Hirisave fire

Baby dies in Hirisave fire

The huts gutted in Hirisave, Hassan district. dh photo

Hanumantha, son of Sayamma from Betageri village in Sedam taluk of Gulbarga district, was sleeping in a cradle in his hut when the incident occurred. By the time Sayamma could rush to the spot from her workplace and seek help in rescuing the child, the child was charred to death.

More than 20 children of the dwellers of the huts, including Sayamma’s elder son Sunkappa (6), were playing outside the huts and ran away from the spot when they saw huge flames and thus survived. The woman’s husband had died an year ago.

Household items, clothes and food items in the huts were completely destroyed in the fire. It is said the fire that started in one of the sheds spread to the neighbouring ones and gutted them. More than 500 people, involved in the national highway work, live in the nearly 100 sheds in the colony, constructed using coconut fronds and zinc sheets. While most residents had been to work, there were a few people, including children, in the huts when the incident occurred at 8 am.

Locals tried to douse the fire, but called the fire personnel when they were unsuccessful in their attempt. The fire personnel rushed to the spot and brought the blaze under control.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Parashuram visited the spot. Hirisave police have registered a case.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)