Dangling electric wires claim teenager


Onlookers check the loose electric wires which claimed the life of Preethi S

The deceased, Preethi S alias Princy (19), was a resident of 3rd Cross. Her mother, Vimala, who suffered burns is said to be out of danger and is being treated at St John’s Hospital.

In the narrow lanes of Gowthampura, live wires dangling from electric poles is a common sight.

People use these wires for drying clothes.

The police said the accident might have occurred while Vimala was tying a wire to the pole to dry clothes.

Buela, a neighbour who resides opposite their house, told Deccan Herald: “Around 4.10 pm, since it started raining, I came out to collect some foodgrains which I had kept it for drying. I heard a loud scream and peeped out from the staircase. I saw Vimala, hanging from the wire (meant for drying clothes).

“Princy came out and pulled her mother but the wire gave way. With a portion of the wire in her hand, Princy fell into a water tank. I saw some sparks from the wire.

Meanwhile, a youth came with a wooden stick and pushed Princy and her mother aside.

We rushed both to a nearby nursing home. The authorities there not only refused to treat them but also turned down our plea to provide an ambulance.

“Later, on reaching CMH Hospital the doctors declared Princy brought dead and advised us to take Vimala to St John’s Hospital.

“Heart-rending scenes were witnessed when Vimala requested us to take care of Princy, unaware of the truth that her only daughter was no more,” he added.

Comments (+)