Woman dies in alleged dowry harassment

Woman dies in alleged dowry harassment

The case registered with the Chennammanakere Achukattu police comes just days after the murder of Roopa Reddy in Ramamurthynagar here after only seven days of her marriage. Pushpa was married on March 5.

Speaking to Deccan Herald, Pushpa’s brother Gautham claimed: “Ever since her wedding, this problem (dowry harassment) has been there. I spoke to Balaji a couple of times about it, but never expected my sister would take such a decision...”

Alleging that his brother-in-law and his mother harassed Pushpa, he said: “Unable to bear the torture, she returned to our home in Banashankari II Stage on May 4, and on May 5, she consumed poison. We rushed her to the hospital.”

He further claimed that Pushpa’s in-laws visited her only three days after she was admitted to the ICU. They are “absconding” now, after her death.
When Pushpa was with Balaji in Kollegal, Gautham alleged  that she was not even allowed to make telephone calls to us. She had to call hiding from the toilet.

Police have registered a case. Deccan Herald’s attempts to contact Balaji went in vain.
Girl found dead

A 13-year-old girl was found dead, hanging from the ceiling at her uncle's house in JC Nagar, Kurubarahalli in Mahalaxmi Layout on Sunday late night.

Pavitra, a 6th standard student at a government school, stayed at the house of Hanumanthappa, her uncle. Her mother lived in Laggere and last visited her Saturday. At that time, Pavitra had complained of stomachache, but her mother did not pay much heed to the complaint. Her uncle had gone out of town along with his family. On returning, they were shocked see Pavitra hanging from the ceiling.

Man found dead

Murthy (37), a daily wage worker was found dead, hanging at his Laxman Rao Nagar  residence in Audugodi area.

Murthy's wife had deserted him last year, and he was living with his six-year-old son. The reason is yet to be ascertained.

Temple burgled

Temples have become easy targets for burglars. On Sunday, miscreants managed to break into a temple in Kodigehalli and made away with valuables.

According to Narayanaswamy, the priest of the Omkareshwar Temple, he had locked the main door of the shrine and left.

When he returned the next day to open the doors,he found that some culprits had forcibly broken the main door open and had taken away the valuables.