Actor Harish Raj arrested on cheating charge, released

Actor Harish Raj arrested on cheating charge, released

Harish Raj

According to police, Murali, producer of the movie ‘Gun,’ had alleged in a complaint that Raj had borrowed Rs 10 lakh from him and had failed to repay it. Raj sold the rights of ‘Gun’ to a private television channel, without consulting him though he was the producer, Murali had alleged in the complaint.

Raj was allegedly absconding since then. The police received information that Raj was coming to his residence in Vasanthnagar on Wednesday night. The police went to arrest him, but returned empty handed as Raj was not present. The police again went to his residence on Thursday morning and took him into custody. He was released after receiving the bail order copy.

Raj plays the lead role in ‘Gun’ and is also the director of the movie. A case was registered against Raj on March 8, after he allegedly assaulted a police constable and attempted to commit suicide by jumping from atop Santosh Theatre. Raj resorted to the suicide bid, after the theatre owners decided to stop screening of ‘Gun,’ due to poor response from audience.

Three held for cheating

In another case, the police on Wednesday arrested Devaprakash (22) from Hebbal, Balachandar (23) from Yelahanka and Prashanth K (31) from Kanakapura on the charge of cheating and recovered Rs 1.46 lakh and five cellphones.

The suspects were operating through website. They lured customers to invest Rs 10,000 for membership with their firm named smartrip. They collected money at their office on Cunningham Road and also online. Two other suspects Mahesh Loganathan, Santosh Sumo and Suresh Kumar Gaurishetty are at large, added the police.

Five held for betting

The Central Crime Branch (CCB) sleuths arrested five persons in connection with cricket betting and recovered Rs 22,000, six cellphones and a colour television from them. The suspects are V Sriram (28), M Srinivas (44), Pramod (30), Raghu (24) and Rajiv (38), all from Palace Guttahalli.

When the police raided Annapurneshwari Enterprises and Sound Systems on Palace Guttahalli 4th Main Road, they were discussing about the betting money over the phone with their clients when the match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians was on.

Towering dreams crash

Property owners in the City dreaming of earning big bucks by allowing cellphone service providers to instal transmission towers on their premises seem to have trouble awaiting them.

Shivu, responded to an ad in a newspaper for property to instal towers. When he contacted the advertisers, he was asked to log onto their website and pay a processing fee of Rs 5,500.

Shivu was told that the company would pay a rent of Rs 55,000 per tower, besides a refundable deposit of Rs 55 lakh. The contract would be for 10 years.

“I deposited the money at ICICI Bank account no 05350514056 and they promised to get back in 48 hours. When I did not hear from them, I called up after 10 days. The person who took call abused me and threatened me with dire consequences if I approached the police,” said Shivu.

Temple burgled

Miscreants targeted  Anjaneya Swamy temple in Anekal on Thursday, and took away the idols and silver ornaments worth lakhs of rupees.

In his complaint, the priest  said he locked up the temple’s sanctum sanctorum Wednesday. When he went to the temple next morning, he found the main door forced open, and the ornaments missing.