ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Any team can win T20 World Cup: Imran Khan

Last Updated : 12 May 2009, 13:16 IST
Last Updated : 12 May 2009, 13:16 IST

Follow Us :

Comments

"I don't watch Twenty20 cricket because it is just Toolah (chance) cricket. It is not about skills or talent. That is why I think any team can win the World Cup," Imran told reporters at the Karachi Press Club.

The T20 World Cup will begin next month in England.

The former cricket great who is now an active politician and heads his Tehreek-e-Insaaf party said that India may have a role in the isolation of Pakistan in international cricket.

"Look, after the Mumbai terror attacks I have heard that India also did not want Sri Lanka to tour Pakistan. So you can't rule out this possibility," Imran said when asked if he agreed that the Indians were trying to isolate Pakistan in world cricket.

He also blamed the Pakistan Cricket Board officials for not doing enough homework while going to the International Cricket Council meeting at which the members decided to move the 2011 World Cup matches from Pakistan because of security reasons.

"There is no doubt that the ICC decision is flawed and not just. But I think our officials should have also gone to the meeting well-prepared specially after the attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore," he said.

"I don't think the ICC attitude is right. You can't just deprive a country of hosting World Cup matches like this. But at the same time I think our board should have taken the other Asian boards into confidence," Imran Khan said.

Imran said immediately after the attack on the Sri Lankan team the PCB should have garnered the support of other Asian boards who are also hosting the World Cup matches.

"They should have tried to convince the other boards that if the World Cup matches can't be held in Pakistan then the tournament should be swapped and held in some other country in 2011 and in Asia in 2015," he added.

Imran said the decision of the PCB to file a legal challenge against the ICC was nothing new as even during the time of Kerry Packer cricket this was done.

Imran appreciated the performance of the Pakistan team against Australia and felt a 2-3 scoreline in the one-day series was not a bad result.

"I think they did well. Don't forget they were playing against a strong team after a long time. Don't forget we have not played regular international cricket since last year," he stated.

ADVERTISEMENT
Published 12 May 2009, 08:25 IST

Deccan Herald is on WhatsApp Channels| Join now for Breaking News & Editor's Picks

Follow us on :

Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT