Trains run over three, overhead wires kill one

Trains run over three, overhead wires kill one

Two had plugged in earphones while crossing the tracks

Three people were killed and another was injured after they were crushed under two trains coming from opposite direction near Okhla Railway station on Saturday morning, police said.

After crossing a railway track, the four friends stepped back as they saw a train approaching on the other track. But they did not notice that another train was coming on the first railway track too.

Eyewitnesses told police that two of them had pluggedin earphones when the accident took place.

The deceased have been identified as Bhupender, Salman and Sibu. Their colleague Aslam, is recuperating in a hospital. The victims belonged to Agra and Mathura districts of Uttar Pradesh and were temporary residents of Harkesh Nagar.

All four were cooks and worked on contract basis at wedding ceremonies. They were employed with Shishpal, a resident of Harkesh Nagar in Okhla. Shishpal, who was also a cook, took contracts for preparing food at marriage functions.

“While the four victims were crossing the railway tracks, two EMU trains were approaching towards the crossing on both pairs of tracks. One of them was going towards Palwal while another was heading towards Nizamuddin railway station,” said additional deputy commissioner of police (Railways) B S Gurjar.

“They either failed to notice the moving trains or tried to cross the tracks quickly. But they were crushed under these two trains. Three were killed and one was injured in the accident,” Gurjar said.

The victims were on their way to work at a function in south-east Delhi, police said.

Eyewitness’ say
Mohammed Ismail, an eyewitness, told Deccan Herald, “I had just got down from a bus and saw that the four people were crossing railway tracks with their hands across each other’s arms.

They were struck between trains coming from two directions. As all this happened in just few seconds, they failed to jump off the tracks. All four of them were trapped between the two trains,” he said.

Man electrocuted
Meanwhile in another incident, an unidentified man, aged 32, was electrocuted when he came in contact with overhead live wires after he climbed on the roof of Rajdhani Express on Friday night.

“The train was parked at railway yard at Tughlakabad for cleaning. A man climbed on the roof of the train and got electrocuted. We came to know after the cleaning staff made a call at police control room,” said Gurjar.

He was rushed to a hospital where doctors declared him brought dead. So far, no one has claimed his body. He is still unidentified.

“The deceased was wearing many rosaries. We have informed local police stations and have questioned many people, but he is still unidentified,” said Gurjar.