Shiney's bail rejected for the second time

Mumbai, Sept 11 (Agencies):

Shiney Ahuja

The court rejected Ahuja's bail on the grounds that it is a "serious offence" and there is a prima facie evidence against him. Earlier, the court had rejected his bail plea on July 8 on the same grounds.

The 36-year-old actor had filed for a bail for the second time on September 5 after the city police filed its chargesheet against him.

The actor's bail plea, which was pending before a Mumbai sessions court, had been transferred to a fast track court last month, said his lawyer Shrikant Shivade.
Shiney has been accused of raping his domestic help at his Andheri West home June 14.
The charges against the actor will be framed Sep 23 before fast track court judge S.R. Trivedi, Shivade said.
After the charges are framed, the trial - in which the prosecution would examine around two dozen witnesses - shall commence on a regular day-to-day basis by month-end.

The prosecution does not intend to examine all the witnesses who are lined up and it expects the trial to be completed within two weeks, according to a prosecution lawyer.

Shiney, who will continue in judicial custody at the Arthur Road Jail, faces a minimum seven-year jail sentence if the charges against him are proved in court.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry