Ishant rules himself out of Lanka tour

Ishant rules himself out of Lanka tour

Recuperating after undergoing an ankle injury, pacer Ishant Sharma has ruled himself out of India’s ODI tour of Sri Lanka next month.

The 23-year-old speedster said that although he has resumed bowling and light training, it would be extremely difficult for him to attain match fitness before the scheduled Sri Lanka tour, which starts on July 22.

“I’m feeling strong and good again and even started to bowl four-over spells. However, it will be difficult to get fully fit in time for next month’s tour to Sri Lanka,” said Ishant.  “Intensity of bowling and fitness has to increase gradually and I would also need some match practice to check myself. I think I will take two or three months more to regain match fitness,” he added.

Ishant had been suffering from pain in his right ankle, a result of extra growth in the bone and got the surgery done in London in the last week of March and had to miss this year’s Indian Premier League. “I had to look at the long term rather than short and I knew surgery was the best option if I had to play for a long time. The key was to be fit in time for the new season and my rehab is progressing well. I am going back to NCA next week,” Ishant told ‘Aaj Tak’. The lanky pacer, who was the toast of the nation exactly a year ago with a record haul of 23 wickets from three Tests in West Indies, was completely out of form during the England and Australia tours last year when Indian lost eight consecutive Tests.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)