Cylinder explodes, narrow escape for six workers

Cylinder explodes, narrow escape for six workers

Six people had a narrow escape when an LPG cylinder exploded at AK Colony in Sriramapura off Bellary Road on Wednesday evening.

The explosion occurred in the house belonging to Thimmarayappa, who had rented it out to six migrant labourers from Parala, a village in Krishna Prasad taluk in Puri, Odisha.

The tenants, all in their 20s, worked for G4S Security Services as security guards. They were deployed at a site belonging to Sivan Building and Media Company. Police said the incident occurred at 5.20 pm when Poornachandra Biswal was cooking food on a five-kg cylinder stove. There was a small leak of gas and the regulator of the stove caught fire. He tried to put out the fire. But when it began to grow he brought the cylinder to the entrance of the house. 

By then, the fire began to rage uncontrollably. Immediately, Biswal ran out with four of his roommates –– Madhusudan, Sillu Sahu, Shiva Sahu and Babula. 

But before they could run to a safe distance, the cylinder blast injuring Biswal. Eyewitness said the blast was so intense that the walls of the building sustained cracks, the asbestos roof was thrown to a height of at least 40 ft and the window panes of the houses nearby shattered. Bhagyamma, who sustained minor injuries, said she was sitting at the door of her house, when she was hit by a piece of the asbestos roof.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)