Youth, his mother electrocuted; five MSEDCL employees booked

A man and his mother were electrocuted in the tribal Wada taluka of the district, police said today.

The incident took place on Sunday near Einseth village in the taluka, police said adding that five employees of the power utility have been booked in this connection.

The 31-year-old Vinod Thackeray, who was going to his farm in the morning, accidentally came in contact with a live electric wire and died on the spot, police officer I S N Dhumal of the Wada police station said.

When Vinod did not return home after long, his 51-year-old mother Vanita went out in search of him, but came in contact with the live wire and died on the spot, he added.

According to police, the electricity cable had got snapped and fallen to the ground, lying unattended. The villagers had time and again brought it to the notice of the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd (MSEDCL) staff, "who failed to take any timely action".

Following the incident, villagers demanded action against the erring officials of the power distribution company for their alleged negligence.

Police have registered an offence under section 304 (punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the IPC against the MSEDL staff.

MSEDCL executive engineer (Vasai division) Vinod Patil, senir engineer (Wada) Nilesh More, assistant engineer Shirish Gangurde and assistant linesmen Ganpat Pandavand Datta Chinda have been booked in this connection.

Comments (+)