Dead lizard in food, eatery fined

A city-based eatery has been told to pay Rs 10,000 to a customer for serving her sambar with a dead lizard in it.

The north-east district consumer disputes redressal forum said Aggarwal Sweet House in Seelampur had failed to ensure that the food it offered to customers was fit for consumption, as was required under law.

“There was negligence on the part of the cooks, who made and served the dish. The eatery owner was also under an obligation to ensure that the food was fit for ordinary consumption,” the forum said.

The forum Bench presided by N A Zaidi directed the eatery owner to pay the customer, Seema, Rs 10,000 as compensation “for negligence in services rendered”. It also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 to be deposited in the forum’s consumer legal aid account.

Hygiene issues

The Bench comprising Poonam Malhotra and Nishat Ahmad Alvi also directed the municipal body concerned and the health department to check whether the eatery has a licence to run the business, and whether food is being prepared under hygienic conditions.

Delhi resident Seema said a dead lizard was found in the sambar she had ordered at the eatery on August 9, 2011, following which she had filed an FIR. She sought a compensation of Rs 1 lakh.

The eatery owner denied the allegations, saying no FIR was filed against him. The forum rejected his contentions.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)