Worker dies while cleaning sewage unit at BSY's hotel

A worker died of asphyxiation and two were indisposed as they reportedly inhaled poisonous gas while cleaning a sewage treatment unit on the premises of Hotel Royal Orchid Central, owned by former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa’s family, here on Friday afternoon.

According to sources, the dead was identified as Annappa (35), a resident of GSKM road in the City. It is said that Annappa had climbed into the sewage pit to clean it.

Another worker Manjunath, a resident of Panchavati Colony, and Ratnakar, an employee of the hotel, were asked to assist Annappa. It is said that they entered the chamber as Annappa did not come out even after an hour.

However, the two were rescued by the staff of Fire and Emergency Service. They are undergoing treatment in a private hospital here and are said to be out of danger.

Superintendent of Police Raman Gupta and Additional Superintendent of Police Basavaraj visited the spot.

Gupta told Deccan Herald that three workers may have inhaled poisonous gas. He said he was not sure whether it was a manhole or a sewage treatment unit.

A report from sanitation experts is awaited. Hotel manager Sridhar Devadiga said two of the workers cleaned the unit once a week.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)