Donning helmets, Cong MLAs enter Bengal Assembly

Donning helmets, Cong MLAs enter Bengal Assembly

Opposition charged Mamata govt of silencing their voice in the House

Donning helmets, Cong MLAs enter Bengal Assembly

The West Bengal Assembly witnessed a rare sight on Wednesday when Congress legislators came in wearing helmets to register their protest against the manner in which the Opposition voice was “silenced” in the House.

“This is only a symbolic way to protest against the black incident that happened yesterday (Tuesday). It was not done to lower the esteem of the House,” Congress leader Manas Bhunia said.

The problem started on Tuesday, in the first half of the Assembly session, when the Opposition’s adjournment motion on chit funds was admitted but a discussion was not allowed. Leader of the Opposition Surya Kanta Mishra while reading the motion alleged that the Opposition was not being allowed to speak and some Left MLAs rushed to Speaker Biman Banerjee's podium and started shouting slogans. The Trinamool MLAs, in a bid to save the Speaker, also rushed to the podium and legislators of both parties engaged in bitter fight.

Three CPM legislators,  including Gourango Chatterjee, was injured in the fight.

Three  suspended

After the session was reconvened Speaker Biman Banerjee suspended three CPM members—Amjad Hussain, Najimul Haq and Sushanta Besra—and the warring lawmakers of both parties again rushed to the well and the fighting resumed.

On Wednesday morning, the Congress and Left legislators walked out of the House after the Speaker dismissed their demand for an all-party meeting or the withdrawal of suspension of the three CPM members. Left MLAs held a sit-in protest on the stairs leading to the House. The CPM Politburo has condemned the violence. They also held a mock parliament to show how the Assembly was run with “no rights” granted to opposition members.

Senior CPM member Abdur Rezzak Mollah said the Mamata Banerjee government had lost its credibility within 18 months of coming to power. “It is to be seen now if it survives another six months,” he quipped.