<p>Against the backdrop of Army’s plans to seek transfer of attack helicopters from the IAF, Air Force Chief N A K Browne on Sunday said the soon-to-be-procured Apache choppers from the US would remain with it as it was an ongoing acquisition.<br /><br /></p>.<p>“The Apaches are going to be with us only as it is an ongoing acquisition process,” Air Chief Marshal Browne said on the sidelines of a 1971 war anniversary function. <br />When asked to clarify whether the Apaches being procured from the US would be with the IAF or the Army. <br /><br />Browne said the Apaches are not just for taking out enemy tanks or for air-to-ground operations but they can be used for multiple tasks such as taking out enemy radar stations and for air-to-air missions.<br /><br />Recently, the Army had said that it was planning to send a proposal to the Defence Ministry for seeking transfer of attack helicopters from the Air Force at the earliest. <br />Sources said the Army had also suggested that the proposal would also include transfer of the Apache helicopters which are being procured. <br /><br />The IAF and the Army in the past have been involved in a battle of sorts for controlling the attack helicopter fleet and the Defence Ministry has decided in favour of the Army.<br /><br />The Army already has an aviation wing but Defence Minister A K Antony has approved a long-pending demand of the 1.3 million-strong force for attack helicopters, overruling stiff opposition from the Air Force.<br /><br />The sanction has made it clear that all “future” procurements of such helicopters would be for the Army. <br /><br />The Army had been demanding attack helicopters, saying these are mainly used for operations by it. <br /><br />The IAF had been strongly resisting it, with Browne saying the country cannot afford to have “small air forces”. <br /><br />The IAF is in final stages of completing the acquisition process of 22 Apache choppers from the US after the American machine edged out the Russian Mi-28 Havoc in the tender. <br /></p>
<p>Against the backdrop of Army’s plans to seek transfer of attack helicopters from the IAF, Air Force Chief N A K Browne on Sunday said the soon-to-be-procured Apache choppers from the US would remain with it as it was an ongoing acquisition.<br /><br /></p>.<p>“The Apaches are going to be with us only as it is an ongoing acquisition process,” Air Chief Marshal Browne said on the sidelines of a 1971 war anniversary function. <br />When asked to clarify whether the Apaches being procured from the US would be with the IAF or the Army. <br /><br />Browne said the Apaches are not just for taking out enemy tanks or for air-to-ground operations but they can be used for multiple tasks such as taking out enemy radar stations and for air-to-air missions.<br /><br />Recently, the Army had said that it was planning to send a proposal to the Defence Ministry for seeking transfer of attack helicopters from the Air Force at the earliest. <br />Sources said the Army had also suggested that the proposal would also include transfer of the Apache helicopters which are being procured. <br /><br />The IAF and the Army in the past have been involved in a battle of sorts for controlling the attack helicopter fleet and the Defence Ministry has decided in favour of the Army.<br /><br />The Army already has an aviation wing but Defence Minister A K Antony has approved a long-pending demand of the 1.3 million-strong force for attack helicopters, overruling stiff opposition from the Air Force.<br /><br />The sanction has made it clear that all “future” procurements of such helicopters would be for the Army. <br /><br />The Army had been demanding attack helicopters, saying these are mainly used for operations by it. <br /><br />The IAF had been strongly resisting it, with Browne saying the country cannot afford to have “small air forces”. <br /><br />The IAF is in final stages of completing the acquisition process of 22 Apache choppers from the US after the American machine edged out the Russian Mi-28 Havoc in the tender. <br /></p>