Breakthrough in blast probe; one taken into custody

Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for explosions, warns of more attacks
Last Updated 24 February 2013, 20:53 IST

Investigating agencies on Sunday took one Mohammad Riyazuddin into custody in connection with the Dilsukhnagar blast case even as the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) claimed responsibility and threatened more such attacks on Hyderabad in the near future.          

BJP Andhra Pradesh unit President G Kishan Reddy received a letter purportedly written by the LeT threatening to attack Begum Bazaar, a major business centre. The LeT also claimed responsibility for Thursday’s attack.

Kishan Reddy said the letter written in English and Urdu was handed over to the Abids Police Station. The police said they were examining the letter to ascertain its veracity and tracing its origin.

Begum Bazar was one of the areas where the alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operatives conducted reconnaissance. This was revealed by one of the IM operatives arrested by the Delhi Police in 2012.

The investigating agencies on Sunday had a few breakthroughs in the Dilsukhnagar bomb blast case and have taken into custody Mohammad Riyazuddin from an apartment in the old city area. In addition to the six teams set up by the Cyberabad police commissionerate, 15 teams of the Hyderabad police commissionerate are probing the twin blasts that killed 16 and injured over a hundred.

A special investigation team of the Cyberabad Police picked up Riyazuddin for questioning. He was arrested by the police after the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast but was later acquitted by a court. Riyazuddin was identified as one of the persons who had visited the blast spot a few minutes before the explosion, as per the CCTV footage.

The agencies also identified IM chief Fayaz Kaji as the prime suspect under whose directions the Bhatkal brothers   Yasin, Riyaz and  Iqbal were operating in India. They were also involved in the Malegaon, Pune and Delhi blasts.

Police Commissioner of Hyderabad Anurag Sharma told reporters on Sunday that the probe has been intensified. He, however, clarified that no arrests were made. He said they were working on various leads but refused to share any information with regard to the investigations.

The government has also sought clarification from the DGP as to how the specific alert sent on February 21 was not circulated to the commissionerate. “We did not get any specific alert on February 21,” Anurag Sharma said.

Injured critical

Six of the injured in terror attacks getting treated in different hospitals in the city are said to be in a critical condition.

According to officials, 90 people were still undergoing treatment at six different hospitals. At Care Hospital in Nampally, three out of the 23 injured are in a critical condition.

(Published 24 February 2013, 20:53 IST)

Follow us on