Man kills wife, hangs self

Man kills wife, hangs self

They often had arguments over his reluctance to work

A 35-year-old man allegedly committed suicide after killing his wife in their house in west Delhi’s Vikas Puri on Friday. Police have recovered a suicide note in which the man highlighted suspicion that his wife was involved in an extramarital affair.

Shyam Kumar, who drove a a battery-operated rickshaw, and his 29-year-old wife Jaspal Kaur lived with their two sons aged 10 and six at JG-II block.

The incident came to light when Jaspal’s elder sister Jasbeer Kaur came to the house around 10 am.

“Shyam was found hanging from a ceiling fan, while Jaspal was lying on the bed,” a police officer said.

Police rushed the duo to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital, where doctors declared them brought dead.

Jasbeer told police that she had made several calls on Shyam and Jaspal’s mobile phones, but neither of them answered the calls. Fearing that something was amiss, Jasbeer came to the house.

“The door was locked from inside, so I peeped in through the window and was shocked to see my sister on the bed and her husband hanging from the fan,” Jasbeer said.
She then raised an alarm and neighbours informed police.

The couple’s 10-year-old son Ishant claimed that he heard his mother screaming around 4 am.

“I woke up and saw that my father had covered her mouth with his hand. When I asked what had happened, he told me that my mother was unwell and not to worry,” said Ishant.

Ishant went back to sleep. Around 7 am, Shyam woke up both his sons and took them to his sister’s house at Shahapura.

Jaspal’s family members alleged that the couple often argued over Shyam’s reluctance to work.

Shyam had stopped working for the past few days triggering fresh arguments.

It is also alleged that Shyam used to beat up Jaspal, but she did not report it to police fearing that it would jeopardise their already-strained marital life. Shyam and Jaspal married in 2002, and moved to Ahmedabad where Shyam ran a business of manufacturing bearings.

They returned to Delhi when Shyam’s business closed down in 2007.