Couple thrashed in road rage

Couple thrashed in road rage

A 27-year-old married woman was allegedly beaten up and almost dragged into a car by two inebriated men in a road rage incident in south-east Delhi’s Ambedkar Nagar late on Saturday.

The woman, a homemaker who hails from Assam, was returning home to Humayunpur near Safdarjung Enclave with her husband after celebrating their first wedding anniversary. “She was slapped for intervening when the accused attacked her husband.
The accused also thrashed her and tried to drag her inside their car before fleeing from the spot,” said Neil, her brother-in-law.

Her husband, Nilendu Kar, who works with an MNC in Gurgaon, said the incident happened at 10.30 pm.

“We had gone to celebrate our wedding anniversary at my brother Neil’s house in Shiekh Sarai. We had dinner and left at 10.15 pm,” Nilendu said.

Nilendu’s brother offered to drop them home, but he said he didn’t want to trouble him. The couple then took an autorickshaw from the BRT corridor near Shiekh Sarai.

“We were heading home on the BRT corridor when a Tata Safari SUV hit the autorickshaw from behind near Panchsheel Enclave,” said Nilendu. The auto driver then stopped to check any damage to his three-wheeler.

It is alleged that one of the accused then walked up to the autorickshaw driver and got involved in a heated argument. It soon turned violent with the accused assaulting the auto driver. Nilendu tried to intervene, on which he was also attacked. Soon, the other occupant of the SUV also came out and began to beat up Nilendu. Seeing this, his wife tried to stop them, but she was slapped and pushed too.

“The two men, who were reeking of alcohol, then pounced on my wife and mercilessly beat her up,” Nilendu alleged. The accused fled when other motorists stopped seeing the scuffle.

A call was made to the police control room at 10.30 pm, but no police team arrived at the spot till 11.15 pm.

The couple approached Ambedkar Nagar police station, but their statement was yet to be recorded till late night. “We were also not provided any medical assistance,” Nilendu added.

A police officer confirmed that the incident was reported.