Project to issue property cards may take off by Oct-end

Project to issue property cards may take off by Oct-end

To be implemented in 50 wards of BBMP at an estimated cost of Rs 12 crore

The much-delayed Urban Property Ownership Record (UPOR) or City Survey project, which envisages distribution of property titles or property cards to private immovable property owners is likely to be launched in Bangalore by October-end.

The Directorate of Survey Settlement and Land Records' (DSSLR) move to re-tender the project has received good response with over 15 firms taking part in the pre-bid meeting held recently.

The last date for participating in the tender is October 8. The government is likely to fix the agencies to implement the project by mid-October, official sources said.

The project is planned to be implemented in 50 wards of Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) to begin with. It will be later extended to all  the wards.

It is estimated to cost Rs 12 crore for 50 wards of Bangalore, covering about four lakh properties. It was re-tendered after modifying certain tender conditions including allowing firms to participate in the tender as a consortium and engaging the services of other agencies at the time of implementation.

Nominal fee

Under the project, survey, mapping and measurement of all the properties will be done and the authenticity of their ownership verified. The DSSLR will issue what is called property cards or property titles to owners by charging a nominal fee. The pilot project has been implemented in Mysore city.

The responsibility to implement the project will be given to two agencies, which will get 25 wards each. Unlike the pilot project in Mysore which is being implemented on public-private partnership model, the project cost in BBMP will be borne by the state government.

The implementing agencies will get 70 per cent of the project cost after the completion. The remaining 30 per cent will be paid after three years. The agencies have to update and maintain the database for three years, officials added.