Ozil dazzles in Arsenal win

Gunners stay at the top of the table with 4-1 verdict over Norwich

Ozil dazzles in Arsenal win

Arsenal, temporarily knocked off top spot after Liverpool had played earlier in the day, returned to the summit of the Premier League when they beat Norwich City 4-1 on Saturday.

Liverpool had temporarily gone above the North London club into first place after their 2-2 draw earlier on Saturday but Arsenal reclaimed top spot in sublime fashion against the Canaries.

Jack Wilshere's opener after 16 minutes at the Emirates Stadium capped a brilliant flowing move for the Gunners who lead the table with 19 points from eight matches.
Mesut Ozil scored twice and Aaron Ramsey once as Arsenal went two ahead of Chelsea, who came from behind to beat Cardiff City 4-1 and move above Liverpool on goal difference.

Liverpool slipped to third after their draw at Newcastle United with skipper Steven Gerrard scoring his 100th league goal from a penalty.

Newcastle played for the whole of the second half with 10 men after French defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was sent off shortly before half-time. Although they trailed twice, Liverpool dominated the depleted home side and deserved more than a point.

Chelsea, who started the day in third place, fell behind to Cardiff City after some woeful defending by David Luiz who allowed Jordan Mutch to score after 10 minutes.

Eden Hazard equalised in the 33rd minute after Samuel Eto'o nipped in to steal the ball from goalkeeper David Marshall as he was bouncing it up and down. Eto'o, Oscar and Hazard put the issue beyond doubt with goals in the second half.

Champions Manchester United slipped up at Old Trafford, held to a 1-1 draw by fourth-placed Southampton.

Robin van Persie scored for United in the 26th minute before Dejan Lovren equalised for the Saints a minute from the end of normal time.

Gus Poyet's tenure as Sunderland's new manager got off to a terrible start when his bottom-of-the-table side were crushed 4-0 at Swansea City.

Gutsy Newcastle hold on

Newcastle had to play the whole of the second half at St James' Park with 10 men after the 42nd-minute sending-off of defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

They had gone ahead in the 23rd minute when Yohan Cabye scored with an unstoppable, swerving, 25-metre shot that gave Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet no chance.

The last time this fixture ended goalless was in 1974 and the scoring continued when Steven Gerrard pulled Liverpool level from the penalty spot after France international Yanga-Mbiwa had been sent off in the 40th minute for hauling down Luis Suarez.

Newcastle went back in front when substitute Paul Dummett, making only his second appearance for the Magpies and brought on to shore up the defence after Yanga-Mbiwa's dismissal, sidefooted a volley home at the back post for his first Newcastle goal after a Cabaye free kick in the 57th minute.

Liverpool, who won 6-0 at Newcastle last season, rallied again when Suarez and Daniel Sturridge combined, with Sturridge heading in to make it 2-2 18 minutes from time.

Gerrard rounded off a near-perfect week with his 100th Premier League goal on Saturday but said he was frustrated Liverpool only took a point.

"But it was a missed opportunity today," he told BT Sport after the game.

"Coming back after international duty you are always a bit flat and lacking a bit of energy but all credit to Newcastle as they hung on in there," added Gerrard.

Comments (+)