'WC will be a success'

FIFA President Sepp Blatter says the World Cup will be “well done,” but criticized Brazilian authorities for starting late on stadium projects and for not providing enough worker safety.

Blatter spoke on Thursday in the Costa Rican capital, where he was attending the Under-17 Women’s World Cup.

Blatter said FIFA could not take responsibility for the death of a worker last week at the stadium in Sao Paulo. Seven workers have been killed at World Cup venues, five in the last six months with work speeding to finish for the opening match in 10 weeks.

“Who is responsible for this?” he asked. “Is it FIFA? They are pointing at FIFA, and it’s not true. It’s basic to provide workers with safe conditions to do the work. We can’t go and watch at every construction site.”

Three stadiums are still being built in the southern cities of Sao Paulo and Curitiba, and the western city of Cuiaba.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)