NSG begins probe into train blasts

NSG begins probe into train blasts

A day after the twin blasts in the Bangalore-Guwahati train claimed the life of a woman techie and injured 14 others, an eight-member team of the National Security Guard (NSG) from New Delhi began its probe by inspecting the Chennai Central Railway station where the incident took place.

The NSG team, led by Raja Krishnan from Delhi, carried out detailed inspection at the site and also held discussions with the Crime Branch-CID, which has been entrusted with the probe.

Special Crime Branch-CID teams also met blast victims who are undergoing treatment at the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital, to ascertain the identity of persons who might have planted the bombs in the train. CB-CID sources said CCTV footage in all stations from Bangalore to Chennai, including Arakkonam, Katpadi and Jolarpettai, where the train stops, would be viewed for possible clues.  

Meanwhile, a 10-member CB-CID team left for Bangalore to view the footage of CCTVs at Bangalore City and Cantonment stations, in order to ascertain whether the bombs had been planted before the train left the station. 

The team will also verify facts regarding some passengers who did not board the train despite booking their tickets. There were also reports, quoting eyewitnesses, that four men had boarded the train a few stations after Bangalore and were seen placing bags under seats. This would be verified by CB-CID teams in Bangalore, sources said.

As per preliminary inquiries, the police said Thursday’s blast was similar to the one that took place in Patna last year. In both cases, blasts occurred at railway stations and ammonia nitrate was used. 

Speaking to a private TV channel, CB-CID IG Mahesh Kumar Agarwal said all neighbouring states have extended their cooperation for investigation.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry