3 of a family injured in cylinder blast

Gas was leaking from cracked hosepipe as stove was lit

3 of a family injured in cylinder blast

 Three members of a family sustained severe burns after an LPG cylinder exploded in their home in Rajagopalanagar on Friday. 

The injured are Jagadish, 30, an autorickshaw driver, his wife Nagarathna, 25, and their eight-month-old baby boy. The family lives in 5th Cross, Kasturinagar. 

Jagadish and his wife, who suffered 50 per cent burn, are said to be critical. They are being treated in the Intensive Care Unit at the Victoria Hospital, police said. 

The hosepipe had developed cracks. Jagadish had used some plastic material and covered the leakage. They had dinner, closed all the windows and doors and went to bed. 

The pipe covered with plastic material got separated and gas leaked, spreading all over the house till morning, police said.

Jagadish woke up at 6.30 am and brought a milk packet to make coffee. 

Nagarathna grew suspicious after she smelt gas. She asked her husband to see if there was any leakage from the hosepipe. 

Jagadish verified and realised that the part covered with the plastic material had been detached. He took out the milk packet and covered the disconnected portion, police said.

He set out to boil the milk for coffee and lit fire leading to an explosion so intense that the floor of the house ripped apart while a wall developed cracks. 

Three neighbouring houses were also damaged in the incident, police said. The fire spread all over the house and the family was caught inside. Some neighbours rushed inside and rescued them, police added.

On being alerted, the fire brigade staff rushed to the spot and controlled the fire.

70 pc burns

In another incident, 40-year-old man sustained more than 70 per cent burns after an LPG gas cylinder exploded at his home in Peenya II Stage. 

The victim was identified as Krishnappa, a resident of Peenya II Stage. He wrote banners for a living, police said. 

Krishnappa’s wife recently went to her parents house. He slept on terrace of his house with his two children as  it was too hot. 

But he forgot to properly turn off the cylinder regulator. He got up at 6 and came downstairs. 

He entered the house and switched on the light. Suddenly, there was explosion followed by loud noise. Neighbours took him to a hospital, police said.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry