Fire in leather godown

Furniture in neighbouring houses gutted

Fire in leather godown


A car parked outside the godown was also consumed by the flames.

Bundles of leather used for manufacture of footwear were stored in the godown located near Mecca Masjid on Second Cross in Vinoba Nagar. Passersby, who noticed smoke billowing out from the building alerted the police. Three fire tenders took nearly one hour to put off the fire. However, no loss of life is reported in the incident.

“We noticed thick smoke coming out from the godown around 2.30 pm. The flames engulfed the entire building in no time. The fire was so intense that wooden furniture and other materials in four neighbouring buildings were also burnt,” eye witnesses told Deccan Herald.

Timely arrival of fire tenders averted a major mishap as flames had reached LPG cylinders in neighbouring houses, locals said. Electric short circuit is said to have triggered the fire. One Syed Muneer owns the godown.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)