HC orders action against fire safety violators

HC orders action against fire safety violators

The Karnataka High Court on Tuesday directed the BBMP and Bescom to take action against those structures that have not obtained a no-objection certificate (NoC) and compliance certificate (CC) from the Fire and Emergency Services (FES) Department.

Hearing a PIL by “Beyond Carlton”, an organisation of the 2010 Carlton Tower fire tragedy survivors, a division bench comprising acting Chief Justice S K Mukherjee and Justice B V Nagarathna directed BBMP and Bescom to look into the violations. “It will be practically difficult to execute, but tell them to do something as quickly as possible,” said the bench.

Appearing for the petitioners, senior counsel Sajan Poovaiah earlier submitted that the government has directed the FES Department to inspect high-rise buildings in the City for compliance every two years.

“Accordingly, they have submitted a report regarding the structures that have absolutely no fire safety aspects. There are about 1,800 such buildings. They have recommended to both BBMP and Bescom to seal the buildings by disconnecting their electricity supply. However, so far, no action has been taken,” said Poovaiah.

Asked about their inaction, Bescom and BBMP sought two weeks’ time to implement the recommendations.
 

Narendra Modi or Rahul Gandhi? Who will win the battle royale of the Lok Sabha Elections 2019


Get real-time news updates, views and analysis on Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on Deccanherald.com/news/lok-sabha-elections-2019 


Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram with #DHPoliticalTheatre for live updates on the Indian general elections 2019.

Comments (+)