Forces to be withdrawn from Kandhamal

Forces to be withdrawn from Kandhamal


This decision was taken by the Union Home Ministry despite Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik’s appeal to retain the forces till the return of around 2500 riot-victims, who are still in relief camps, after construction of their damaged houses.
Communal violence erupted in Kandhamal in the aftermath of the murder of VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati on August 23, 2008, claiming 43 lives, and it still remained a major problem for the state, DGP Manmohan Praharaj said.
There has been no incidence of violence in Kandhamal for over six months, but the possibility of a major law and order problem could not be ruled out after the complete withdrawal of the central force, Praharaj said, adding the state police would take all steps to prevent return of violence in Kandhamal. During peak of violence, as many as 53 companies (nearly 5,300 personnel) of central force had been deployed in Kandhamal.
Sixteen companies of state police, including the Orissa Special Armed Police, striking force and special police force comprising local tribals would replace the central force, he said.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)