SC to see if joint trial can be held in Bengaluru blasts case

SC to see if joint trial can be held in Bengaluru blasts case

The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to examine the legality of a plea made by Kerala’s Peoples Democratic Party leader Abdul Nasser Maudany for joint trial of 32 accused in as many as nine cases registered in connection with the 2008 Bengaluru serial blasts case.

A bench of Justices J Chelameswar and Abhay Manohar Sapre asked senior advocate Raju Ramachandran, representing the Karnataka government, and advocate Prashant Bhushan, appearing for Maudany, to submit case laws relating to the combined proceedings in such connected cases.

The court put the matter for consideration on November 14 after both Ramachandran and Bhushan submitted in all nine cases, there were 254 common witnesses and about 27 exclusive witnesses while the accused are the same.


Bhushan said, “If joint trial does not take place before the Bengaluru court, it would further delay the conclusion of proceedings.” Ramachandran, for his part, submitted that the issue should be left to the trial court to decide. He said there was no need for the apex court to issue any direction.

The bench, however, said, “We understand that. Let’s examine if common trial is possible. Be ready with legal positions.” The court had earlier asked the Karnataka government to ascertain and indicated if the accused were common, all cases could be tried together.
Relying upon Sections 219, 220 and 223 of the Criminal Procedure Code, which made provisions for joint trial, Bhushan said holding separate proceedings would further prolong the matter.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry