Constable decamps with 4 AK-47s

Constable decamps with 4 AK-47s

Constable decamps with 4 AK-47s

A Jammu and Kashmir Police constable, posted as guard of an officer injured in a militant attack in December, on Saturday night decamped with four AK-47 rifles from south Kashmir’s Anantnag district and is believed to have joined militant ranks.

Sources told Deccan Herald that constable Shakoor Ahmad, who was posted as Personal Security Officer (PSO) to Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Bijbehara Irshad Ahmad, failed to report for duties for two days, raising suspicion about his activities.

“Shakoor is missing along with his two friends, Gazi Ahmad Dar, aged 20 and Aaqib Ahmad Dar aged 17. The trio hailing from Kundlan village of Shopian district are suspected to have joined militant ranks,” a senior police officer said adding that the constable has taken along four assault rifles with him.

He said Shakoor besides his own weapon also took away three rifles of his colleagues. Shakoor was escorting DSP Irshad, when he was badly injured in a militant attack in December. “We are investigating his role in the militant attack on the DSP,” the officer said.

Irshad had sustained multiple bullet injuries when Hizb militants had attacked him while he was making some purchases in Bijbehara locality. One of his kidney was removed and he still recuperating.

His guard, Tanveer Ahmad was also injured after being hit with a bullet in his leg.
The police believes that Shakoor might have joined militants like Naseer Pandith who decamped with his service rifle while he was posted on guard at then minister Altaf Bukhari’s residence in Sheikhbagh area of Srinagar in March last year.

Pandith had joined Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militant outfit and was recently seen in a facebook picture with commander Burhan Wani. According to police sources, Shakoor had been working as over ground worker (OGW) for a militant outfit before joining as Special Police Officer (SPO). He was later inducted as constable.