Separatists extend shutdown call to Aug 5

Separatists extend shutdown call to Aug 5

Separatists extend shutdown call to Aug 5
The separatist camp today extended the shutdown call in Kashmir till August 5 "to protest against the civilian deaths" which took place during clashes following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter earlier this month.

Hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, head of moderate faction Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik issued a joint agitation schedule for the first five days of the next month.

The separatist leaders asked the people, particularly youths, to express their sentiments by writing pro-freedom slogans on roads, walls and shop shutters.

"People should also motivate employees not to attend their offices except essential services," they said.

The camp called for a march to Hazratbal shrine on August 5.

"The separatist leadership will march towards Hazratbal to offer congregational Friday prayers and a public rally will be held there to pay homage to our martyrs," they added.

Meanwhile, in another statement, the separatists asked people to "be wary" of certain TV news channels who they alleged "are aggressive in their reportage of Kashmir".

The separatist camp said they are receiving reports of some miscreants extorting money from public and private drivers on the roads and threatening them of harm if they do not oblige.

"Those who are being harassed should report to the people of that locality. No money should be given to them even if they say it is being collected for the affected people. All donations for such purposes are to be collected by mohalla Masjid committees and Baitul Maals (Islamic treasuries)," they said. PTI MIJ AQS RG GVS 07302039
DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)