India's views on release of Saeed misplaced: Pak


Pakistan says India's views on the release of 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed are "misplaced" as it is "best not to comment on a court decision".

Reacting to a statement issued by the Indian ministry of external affairs, Pakistani Foreign Office Spokesman Abdul Basit said "the views expressed therein are misplaced. It is best not to comment on a court decision.

The Pakistani government was "well aware" of its obligations under national and international laws, he said in a statement.

Noting that Pakistan had demonstrated "full sincerity and commitment" in its enquiry into the Nov 26-29, 2008 Mumbai attacks, the statement said the Indian authorities had undertaken to provide an English translation of the material that had been handed over to Pakistan on May 20.

"Polemics and unfounded insinuations cannot advance the cause of justice in civilized societies. Legal processes cannot and must not be interfered with," the statement added.

Citing lack of evidence, a full bench of the Lahore High Court Tuesday overturned a Dec 11, 2008 order placing Saeed, the founder of the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror group that India blames for the Mumbai mayhem, under house arrest.

The release of Saeed elicited strong reactions from India, which saw it as yet another evidence of Pakistan's lack of sincerity in bringing to justice the architects and perpetrators of the Mumbai carnage that claimed the lives of over 170 people, including 26 foreigners.

Comments (+)