Stephen Court builder's granddaughter in trauma

"The sight of her grandfather's building, built a century ago, in flames left her worried and shaken and she went into a trauma," authorities of Sir Catchik Paul Chater Home, better known as Armenian Home, in Park Circus where she and her husband have found refuge, told PTI.

"What added to the shock was that the building caught fire on her birthday," Peter Hyrapiet, president of Armenian Club located in nearby Queens Mansions, said.
"She went to her flat in Stephen Court today to collect her belongings," he said.
Eighty-four-year-old Irene whose grandfather, an Armenian businessman, who also set up the Grand Hotel here, and her 89-year-old Englishman husband Jimmy were in their second floor flat in the building when the fire broke out.

"We were at the club when the incident happened. I told another member to bring down the couple, who are childless. They were then taken to the Home though they were very reluctant to go," Hyrapiet said.

They slipped out of the Home to see the flat and their belongings on Wednesday. Their flat is intact, he said.

Irene's neighbours said she was born in Kolkata and baptised in the Armenian Church here. Her grandparents were extremely rich so she did not need to work.
Meeting neighbours and having a cup of coffee at Flurys on the ground floor were what she loved to do.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
GET IT
Comments (+)