CM blames previous governments for floods in Bengaluru

'Houses built illegally on rajakaluve will be demolished'

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Sunday blamed the previous governments for the floods in Bengaluru and pointed out that their failure in taking up rajakaluve works is the reason for the trouble.

Speaking to reporters here, the CM said that the previous governments failed to clear encroachments on rajakaluves and repair them. The Congress government has earmarked Rs 800 crore and developed 350 km of 850 km rajakaluve so far. It will complete the works next year, he assured.

The earlier governments did not make any attempt to develop the rajakaluves. Houses built illegally on rajakaluve will be demolished, Siddaramaiah said.

“I have been residing in Bengaluru since 1983 but have never witnessed such rains that have lashed the city this year. In the last 60 days, the city received rain for 46 days. The existing drainage and canals are not capable of handling such a situation,” Siddaramaiah said.

Assembly elections 2019 | Get the latest news, views and analysis on elections in Haryana and Maharashtra on DeccanHerald.com


For election-related news in Maharashtra, click here

For election-related news in Haryana, click here

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)