Plumber gets life term for 2013 murder of woman in Jayanagar

Plumber gets life term for 2013 murder of woman in Jayanagar

Plumber gets life term for 2013 murder of woman in Jayanagar

A city court convicted a 38-year-old man to life imprisonment for killing a 75-year-old woman and for trying to murder her two sisters in a bid to rob gold jewellery from their house in Jayanagar.

The 69th Additional City Civil and Sessions court judge T P Ramalingegowda passed the order on a chargesheet filed by Jayanagar police.

The incident occurred on February 22, 2013. The convict M Ramachndra had strangulated K Chandra and tried to kill her two sisters Sharadha and Venkatalakshmi. Later, he made away with Rs 8 lakh in gold ornaments and cash.

Public prosecutor H R Satyavathi who argued the case, told DH that there was another accused in the case. However, he was a day short of his 18th birthday on the day of the crime. "He was declared as minor and sent to the state home for boys. Later, he was acquitted and released two years ago,'' he said.

Ramachandra was a plumber and frequently visited the victim's house. The police arrested him based on a clue given by Venkatalakshmi who scribbled "Tap Ramu" on a piece of paper before slipping into coma.

Chandra and her husband Narasimhan were former Public Works Department employees and Ramachandra got acquainted to the couple as he took up PWD contracts. He also took up repairs at their house and noticed the family owned gold jewellery.

After Narasimhan's death a few years ago, Ramachandra took advantage of the fact that there were just four women in the house, including Chandra's daughter Dr Chaitra. He hatched a plan to kill them and steal the valuables.

After Chaitra left for work, Ramachandra and his brother-in-law S Vasanth Kumar visited the house on the pretext of doing some plumbing work. They strangled Chandra and also attacked Venktalakshmi and Sharada. However, the sisters survived. Venkatalakshmi called Chaitra over phone and scrawled 'Tap Ramu' on a paper and fell into a coma.

Later, based on a complaint, the police arrested Ramachandra. After a detailed hearing, the court convicted him to life imprisonment on Tuesday.