BFC held to goalless draw

The Blues have task cut out against Transport United
Last Updated 23 January 2018, 16:14 IST

Bengaluru FC will have their task cut out at their fortress a week from now, needing a clear win to progress to the second round of qualifiers in the 2018 AFC Cup after a goalless draw against Transport United in the first leg of the Premilinary Stage here on Tuesday.

With the Blues failing to break down the Bhutan side's resolute defending at the Changlimithang Stadium, the tie is still open as the winner on January 30 will seal a place in the play-off stages.

Having travelled with a relatively young squad, coach Albert Roca started with skipper Lalthuammawia Ralte in goal as midfielders Malsawmzuala and Alwyn George along with defender Zohmingliana Ralte and striker Daniel Lalhlimpuia were handed their first starts of the season.

Bengaluru boy Prashanth Kalinga started in a four-man defence, making his much-anticipated first team debut after coming through the youth ranks at the club.

The game began slowly with both sides opting to play cautiously. The Blues weren't affected by the conditions, as temperatures dropped to as low as six degrees Celsius. They continued to play their normal passing game. It took half an hour for the first real chance of the game as Boithang Haokip's perfect corner-kick from the right found Toni Dovale clear at the edge of the box. The Spaniard however, failed to make the desired connection.

The second half burst to life almost immediately as Daniel found himself gifted with back-to-back chances inside five minutes. The striker blazed wide on both occasions, failing to convert after some good work by Toni, who set him up inside the box.

The chances were few and far between but Bengaluru kept control for majority of the proceedings as the lack of finishing did no favours for Roca's men. Two more chances at the end of the game, one through Lenny Rodrigues' long ranger four minutes past the hour mark and from a Daniel shot moments later, forced the rival custodian into saves that he pulled off without fuss.

Roca made three changes in the final quarter hoping to break down the home side's defence and handed debuts to Thongkhosiem Haokip, Joyner Lourenco and Cletus Paul. United, however, managed to defend deep and keep the scoreline unchanged as the tie remained open heading into the second leg.

The Blues now return to Indian Super League duties where they host NorthEast United  on Friday  before facing Transport United at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium on January 30 in the second leg.

(Published 23 January 2018, 16:04 IST)

Follow us on