Dalit not scared about procession in Thakur area

Sanjay Pandey

Lucknow, DHNS: All Sanjay Jatav, a Dalit and resident of Uttar Pradesh's Hathras district, desires is to make his wedding a memorable event for him and the guests and take out his wedding procession through the lanes at the Thakur-dominated village of his in-laws in the neighbouring Kasganj district.

The Thakurs voiced their objection and warned of serious consequences as it was against age-old traditions and the police advised Sanjay to shun his plans as it could pose a threat to law and order.

Sanjay, whose marriage was scheduled for April 20, wrote to the district magistrate and senior police officials seeking permission, as well as protection, for taking out his wedding procession but was denied.

He also moved the Allahabad High Court seeking a direction to the authorities but the court on Monday refused to pass such an order though it said that he could approach the police if he faced any problems.

Sanjay, however, remains undeterred by the threats from the upper caste members and warnings by the police.

"I intend to take out a wedding procession through the village... there is nothing illegal about it," he said.

The local police were in a fix over Sanjay's decision and said that there could be trouble if the wedding procession passed through the village lanes.

As per traditions, the Dalits were not allowed to take out the 'barat' (wedding procession) as it would inevitably pass by the homes of upper-caste members.

The police said that there already was tension in the state in the wake of the violence during Monday's Bharat Bandh and that they could not take any chances.

Caste clashes have taken place in different parts of the state in the past few months. One person was killed in the clashes between Dalits and Thakurs in Saharanpur district last year.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry