Rs 100 cr draft plan ready: Palemar

Works on footpaths, drains to commence after monsoon

Speaking to media persons here on Saturday, he said the works on the same will begin after the monsoon. “Already a sum of Rs 100 crore has been spent on construction of concrete roads in Mangalore,” he informed.

Sea erosion

The work on the construction of sea wall to prevent sea erosion too will begin after the monsoon, he said and added that out of the Rs 911 crore venture for steps to prevent sea erosion, a sum of Rs 223 crore (15%) will be borne by the State government while the remaining 85 per cent will be borne by Centre (ADB).  “The first phase of the works would begin in Ullal,” he said. Statting that already works on about 1,890 metres of sea walls is under progress in many areas of Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Uttara Kannada districts that include Honnavar and Kumta, Palemar said a sum of Rs 16.3 crore has already been spent.

Water contamination

Stating that about 58 per cent of borewells/open wells in Bangalore are contaminated, Palemar said that his department will conduct a survey soon to check the contamination of water in Mangalore too. To a query on the recent report that Mangalore is one of the top polluted cities in India, he  said that upon verification it was found that the surveyors had picked Baikampady area only and reported that Mangalore was polluted instead of specifically mentioning that Baikampady area was selected for the survey.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)