Khunti operation called off, top Naxal escapes

The operation, involving personnel from specialised state force for Naxal operation – Jaguar, Central Reserve Police Force  and Special Action Force – had began on Sunday following intelligence inputs about the presence of top Naxal leader Kundan Pahan in the forests of Rabou village.

However, official sources said the operation was called off after hours of heavy exchange of fire, adding that the turning point in the otherwise fierce encounter was the incessant rain late in the evening.

No recoveries have been made and final assessment of any casualties on the Maoists’ side is yet to be made, they said. Officials also added that Pahan, in all likelihood, seems to have escaped taking advantage of the heavy rain.

He, is the area commander of Naxals and is one of the most wanted man in the state.
Palan is alleged to be the mastermind behind the beheading of Special Branch Police Inspector Francis Induvar last year.

Comments (+)