Be prepared for pre-Games bomb blasts: British High Commission

Be prepared for pre-Games bomb blasts: British High Commission

The Daily Telegraph, however, reported that CGE has written to the country's 17 Commonwealth sports associations to allay any fears about the danger of travelling to New Delhi in October as they have received positive feedback about the Indian security plan from the Metropolitan Police Specialist Protection Group.

"Whilst the current advice is that there is no specific threat to the Games, we will continue to keep channels of communication open with the relevant authorities, particularly the Delhi Organising Committee, who carry ultimate responsibility for security provision at Games-time," CGE was quoted as saying by the daily.

"We are also aware that there continues to be a likelihood of pre-Games attacks on 'soft' targets, such as the Pune cafe bombing in February of this year, as part of a tactic to scare team members and to stop them attending.

"You may wish to inform your team members that they should expect this tactic to continue," CGE said.

CGE has also warned team members that when they are off duty in New Delhi, they should visit only "listed" tourist sites where there is an extra police presence and should avoid wearing team kit.

Craig Hunter, chef de mission of the England team, said the Metropolitan Police had been liaising closely with their Delhi counterparts and had advised that it was safe to travel to the Games, which open Oct 3.

"I attended a meeting yesterday with the Metropolitan Police and I came away from that meeting knowing that we are in a good position and there is no change in any advice or status and we will be going to the Games," he was quoted as saying by the newspaper.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
GET IT
Comments (+)