70 left homeless in fire at Kamarhati slum near Kolkata

70 left homeless in fire at Kamarhati slum near Kolkata

Representative image

Twelve shanties were gutted and many damaged, leaving 70 people homeless as a fire broke out at a slum in Kamarhati area near Kolkata, officials said.

The fire was caused by a short circuit, which led to the explosion of a gas cylinder, they said.

Three fire engines took two hours to douse the blaze, the officials said.

Kamarhati Municipality chairman Gopal Saha said the civic body has arranged relief and a temporary shelter for those affected in the fire. 

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)