Food poisoning claims four of a family in Chitradurga

Four members of a family died hours after they consumed contaminated food at Hulithotlu village in Hiriyur taluk on Thursday night. Three others, who fell critically ill after the consumption, are battling for life at S S High Tech Hospital in Davanagere.

The deceased are Chittappa (80), his son Shashidhar (45), daughter Bhagyamma (35) and daughter-in-law Hemalatha (30). The injured are Sumalatha (13), Ajay (12) and Muddaraju (10). Chittappa’s wife Shanthamma and their younger son Sadashiva did not consume the food. 

Food poisoning is suspected to have triggered the deaths. The food samples have been sent to Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for a report. 

Hemalatha had borrowed sorghum flour from her neighbour Rudrappa’s house and had prepared the balls. 

They vomited soon after consuming the balls complaining of severe pain in the abdomen. They were rushed to district hospital in Chitradurga, but Chittappa died on the way, while the three others died during wee hours of Friday.

“The sorghum flour was left unused for many days and was contaminated. The balls were prepared using the flour. The cause will be ascertained after the FSL submits a report,” tahsildar Vijaykumar told DH.

Rudrappa claimed he had given the flour to Hemalatha to dispose it of.

Comments (+)