Thousands offer Friday prayers at site of demolished mosque

Last Updated : 14 January 2011, 14:45 IST
Last Updated : 14 January 2011, 14:45 IST

Follow Us :


Around 1,500 people, including Syed Ahmed Bukhari, the Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid,  offered Friday prayers at the site of the Noor Masjid in Jangpura and on the road outside the police station there amidst tight security. The people were initially not allowed to offer prayers at the site of demolished mosque.

About 2,000 personnel of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Rapid Action Force (RAF) and Delhi Police kept guard at Jangpura to avoid any untoward incident.
On Wednesday morning, the DDA demolished the mosque, triggering unrest with thousands of people gathering daily to raise slogans and the security authorities blockading the entire main road.

“We have asked the government to give the land to the Wakf board. Anyone demolishing another's house is always sad. Then, this is a religious structure,” said Bukhari, as the assembled gathering nodded their heads.

Bukhari said he had held meetings with Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Urban Development Minister S. Jaipal Reddy, and both had supported rebuilding of the mosque. “But, I don't trust the government, and that's why I am here,” Bukhari.After the prayers, some 40-50 people attempted to rebuild the boundary wall, by placing bricks, but without any cement.

Some of those gathered placed a bedsheet on the ground, asking for donations. Within a few minutes, currency notes and coins blanketed the piece of cloth.

Earlier, Bukhari had raised this issue at the Friday prayers at Delhi's biggest mosque, Jama Masjid, after which the crowd had spilled onto the crowded Daryaganj road.
For over two hours in the afternoon, Netaji Subhash Marg in central Delhi was blocked as people raised slogans against the demolition. Stones were also pelted at parked cars, but the situation was brought under control, with senior area police officers stationed at the spot.

The traffic police had to issue advisories about the blockade of traffic at Nizamuddin and Daryaganj.A protest march was also held at Seelampur in east Delhi. The people marched to the office of the district police chief, chanting slogans against the demolition of the mosque.

Meanwhile, the DDA filed a compliance report before the Delhi High Court stating that it had recovered 350 square metres of its land after demolition of the mosque.
The Delhi Wakf Board had also approached a division bench of the Delhi High Court, stating that the land belonged to them.

But, they withdrew the petition after they were castigated by the court for not filing the petition as per proper legal procedures.A DWB official told IANS that a fresh petition may be filed next week.

Published 14 January 2011, 14:45 IST

Follow us on :

Follow Us