According to a letter written by Singh to Sports Ministry yesterday, both Kalmadi and Bhanot did not return "handing over/taking over charge report", sent to them a day before, to the CEO's office.
The letter, a copy of which is available with PTI, said that following the Sports Ministry's directive on removing the duo, "handing over/taking over charge reports were prepared and given on January 24, 2011 to the officers concerned in their personal staff for getting them signed from Chairman/Secretary General.
"The charge reports have not been received by us up to 12 noon (January 25). Therefore, I have taken over charge myself," Singh said in the letter to Sports Ministry.Both Kalmadi and Bhanot, who were removed as Chairman and Secretary General of OC by the government, have been interrogated by the CBI in connection with the Commonwealth Games related corruption cases. Key aides of former OC head are also being questioned by the investigating agency.
Earlier, Kalmadi had termed his sacking as "illegal and uncalled for.""I am shocked to receive Order dated 24th January 2011, illegally and arbitrarily removing me from the position of Chairman of the Executive Board and the Organizing Committee of the Commonwealth Games," Kalmadi had written in a letter to Sports Minister Ajay Maken.
"Without prejudice to my rights and contention and in furtherance of my letter wherein it has been stated that the order is illegal and without any jurisdiction, I am handing the charge under protest," he said.
Different agencies like Central Vigilance Commission, Comptroller and Auditor General, Income Tax Department and Enforcement Directorate are probing several complaints of corruption and violation of official norms in the conduct of mega sporting event.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had on October 25 last year appointed a high level committee to look into financial and managerial lapses in the sporting extravaganza held here between October 3-14.