Fire in Punjab chemical factory

According to fire officials here, the blaze could have been caused by an electrical short-circuit. Dera Bassi in Mohali district is around 15 km from the state capital Chandigarh.

"Around 10 fire extinguisher vans were pressed into service. The fire broke out at 5.30 a.m. and it took over four hours to bring it under control. The presence of highly inflammable material in the factory’s godown made our work difficult," Fire Officer Avatar Singh told IANS Sunday.

"We had called fire extinguisher vans from Chandigarh, Mohali and other neighbouring towns. So far, exact reason behind the fire has not been ascertained, but we think it could be because of an electric short-circuit," he added. Factory owners are still evaluating the actual loss incurred in the accident.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)