Indian suffocated to death in Dubai

Indian suffocated to death in Dubai

A 55-year-old Indian working as a porter in a fruit and vegetable market here was suffocated to death after spending the night in a closed onion container, police have said.

The porter, identified only as SB, suffocated as a result of lack of oxygen in the container, Brigadier Khalil Ebrahim Al Mansouri, Director of Dubai Police's Criminal Investigation Department (CID) said.

During the night, the onions absorbed all the oxygen in the closed container, suffocating the worker who was sleeping inside, Brig Al Mansouri said.

He highlighted the risk of sleeping in a closed space with plants, as the plants take in oxygen and omit carbon dioxide at night, which in huge quantities could cause harm or even kill.

Authorities are running an awareness campaign to spread awareness among porters and workers at the vegetable and fruit market about staying safe and avoiding hazards.