15 take ill, rushed to hospital

They ate inedible Jatropha fruits which are bright in colour

Beware: The colourful Jatropha fruit attracted students who ate them and fell sick in Srinivaspur. The Jatropha trees are widely cultivated in the taluk. DH photo

The children who were returning from the Government Primary School ate the fruits of the jatropha trees which were adjacent to the village. However, soon after eating the fruits 15 students started vomiting. Some of the village elders who saw the children vomiting immediately rushed them to the Government Hospital in Srinivaspur in the ambulance.

The children after being treated are now recuperating at the hospital. During this time of the year jatropha trees bear fruits which are green and yellow in colour are quite attracting. The children who are naturally allured by the fruit venture out to eat them. However, the children are ignorant that the fruits are inedible and are used in producing oil and fuel.

Litterateur S Raghunath opined that in order to stop the recurrence of such incidents parents along with teachers should brief children about plants and fruits which grow in the villages.

Earlier the children use to accompany their parents to fields and forests where they were introduced to many kinds of plants, herbs and fruits both edible and inedible. However, these days the children keen on studies rarely accompany their parents to fields or forest and are hence ignorant about of the floura surrounding them. This ignorance leads to such untoward incidents, Raghunath added.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry