Retired CBI officer to face trial, says HC

The Delhi High Court has dismissed the plea of former CBI officer for quashing a trial court order and framing of corruption charges against him. 

Justice Mukta Gupta rejected retired CBI DIG Om Prakash Sharma's argument that the trial court has failed to consider his plea that prosecution has included the income of his wife, daughter and son too into his account and levelled the charges of disproportionate income against him.

"Sharma is required to face the trial for offence under Section 13(1)(e) read with 13(2) of the Prevention of Corruption Act. 

Since the trial has already started, in view of the law laid down by the Supreme Court, this Court will not act as an appellate court and enter into an exercise of calculating the assets at this stage,” the court said.

“It would be appropriate that the issues raised by the petitioner are dealt with during trial. I find no reason to interfere with the impugned order. Petition is dismissed," Justice Gupta said.

According to the CBI, an FIR was registered against Sharma on October 31, 1991 after he was caught accepting the bribe of Rs 10 lakh.

He was also found in possession of assets to the tune of Rs 15,53,461 which were disproportionate to his known sources of income. 

Sharma was examined by the investigating officer in December 1991 and after he superannuated from service on September 30, 1995, a charge sheet was filed against him for offences punishable under various section of the Prevention of Corruption Act.

The trial court had framed charges against him on May 4, last year. 

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry