Deposed Maldives president to face trial

A Maldives court on Wednesday annulled a lower court’s decision not to try Mohamed Nasheed due to lack of jurisdiction, paving the way for the ousted president’s trial in connection with the arrest of a top judge during his regime.

Ruling in favour of the Prosecutor General, the High Court said Nasheed’s trial can be held at the Hulhumale Court, which had earlier ruled that it did not have jurisdiction to hear the case. The case was filed with the Hulhumale Magistrate Court by the Prosecutor General's Office, against Nasheed in relation to the arrest and detention of Chief Judge of Criminal Court, Abdullah Mohamed at a military facility during the days of unrest against his government.

The PG had requested Hulhumale' Court to review its decision but the Court said its decision cannot be reviewed unless it is annulled by a higher court. The allegations against Nasheed, former Defence Minister Thalhath Ibrahim Kaleyfaan, former Chief of Defence Force Moosa Ali Jaleel, Brigadier General Ibrahim Mohamed Didi, and Colonel Mohamed Ziyad pertain to wrongful detention.

Comments (+)