Carpets go up in flames

Carpets go up in flames

Carpets worth lakhs of rupees were gutted in a fire that broke out at a shop in Mattikere Wednesday morning.

The incident occurred around 7.15 am at Rajasthan Corner on Bombay Dyeing Road. Seven fire tenders put out the fire by noon.

The shop is housed at the basement of Suvarna Plaza, a three-storey building. On noticing smoke emanating from the basement, people in the area tried to douse the fire using water and sand. But when it started spreading, they alerted the fire force.

Fire fighters faced a tough time as the shop is in the basement. “More than the fire, it was smoke that posed us a challenge. We could not enter the basement as it was locked and a thick cover of smoke had engulfed it,” said one of the fire fighters. The fire fighters broke open the door and put out the fire after a five-hour operation.

None were injured in the accident as the shop was closed when the fire broke out. Electrical short circuit might have caused the fire, suspected the fire fighters.

The loss of property has not yet been estimated. Kiran, the owner of the carpet shop, told Deccan Herald that he lost the family's sole means of livelihood in the fire.

Assembly elections 2019 | Get the latest news, views and analysis on elections in Haryana and Maharashtra on DeccanHerald.com


For election-related news in Maharashtra, click here

For election-related news in Haryana, click here

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)