Police sit on KMC order in medical negligence case

23-year-old died 3 years ago due to doctors error

There seems to be no end to the struggle of S Murthy, a resident of Jayamahal Road in the City, who has been fighting for justice for the last three years in a medical negligence case, which had cut short the life of his 23-year-old son M Girish three years ago.

The Karnataka Medical Council (KMC) recently passed an order that Dr K R Srimurthy, paediatric and general surgeon of the Bangalore Hospital, had committed an error of judgment amounting to 'medical negligence'.

The Siddapura police, with whom Murthy had lodged a complaint against the doctor, had not initiated any action saying that they wanted the KMC report. After three years, when the report has come in favour of the complainant, the Siddapura police are sitting on it, alleged Murthy. He said the police had not yet arrested the accused, despite submitting the KMC order to them.

“What will I gain by fighting this case? All I want is that the tragedy I suffered should not befall others. My struggle is for justice to my son, which people are trying to deny,” said Murthy.


The Fourth Additional Consumers' Disputes Redressal Forum had passed a verdict in Murthy's favour in October 2011 and awarded him a compensation of Rs 10.1 lakh, but he has not got a penny so far. Murthy said the accused had approached the higher court challenging the verdict.

“Now that I have got the KMC order in my favour, I can take the case to the logical end,” he said.

The case dates back to May 7, 2010, when Girish was admitted to the hospital after he complained of fever and pain in the abdomen.

Tests detected a bladder stone. Dr Srimurthy chose laparoscopic removal of the stone from the bladder under general or spinal anaesthesia, instead of going for the safer option of supra pubic cystolithotomy and removal of the stone by open surgery.

The KMC noted in its report that while trying to crush the stone measuring 1x1 cm using a laparoscope, the doctor had perforated the rectum, which led to faecal peritonitis.

Further, he attempted sigmoid colostomy, which was unsuccessful.
Girish died due to septicaemic shock as a result of rectal perforation and faecal peritonitis.

Liked the story?

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0