Hoax call, technical snag delay Metro services

Hoax call, technical snag delay Metro services

Trains, stations checked after caller raises false alarm

CISF personnel were forced to conduct an intensive search of Metro trains and stations after an unidentified person called DMRC’s control room and warned of a “bomb in Metro” early on Thursday.

However, the call turned out to be a hoax. The mobile number from which the call was received was forwarded by CISF to Delhi Police who found the address of the subscriber to be fake.

“It was a mischievous call as the caller’s address could not be verified,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Railways) Sanjay Bhatia said.

He suspected that the caller could have played the prank following the blasts in a train at Chennai.

Delhi Metro Rail Corporation’s helpline received the call around 10.15 am on Thursday after which CISF personnel, responsible for Metro security, swung into action.

“We checked the stations and trains immediately, but found no bomb,” said Hemendra Singh, spokesperson of Central Industrial Security Force.

He added that the security agency kept the information secret from public to prevent panic and possible stampede.  “We made it appear like a routine search and commuters did not get to know about the operation,” Singh told Deccan Herald, adding services were not interrupted on account of the search.

However, the CISF personnel deployed has been asked to be “extra vigilant” and look out for “suspicious activities” in and around Metro stations.

Signalling problem

Meanwhile, hundreds of Metro commuters had a tough time after services were hit on the Red Line due to signalling problem on Thursday morning. The CISF said this delay was not on account of the bomb hoax.

During evening rush hours, trains were running late on the Blue Line due to a technical snag. In the morning, people were stranded on the Inderlok-Rithala corridor of the Rithala-Dilshad Garden Line.

“I reached Rohini West station around 11 am. I was told the services were hit due to technical snag on the Red Line,” said Gayatri Sharma, an east Delhi resident.Tired of waiting for a train, many passengers took exit.

“I kept waiting for around half an hour but seeing no train coming, I decided to go by an autorickshaw,” said Rohit Bajaj, a private firm employee after taking exit at Rohini West station.

“Relying on one mode

of transport can cause trouble sometimes. Technical glitches with Delhi Metro have become everyday’s phenomena. I don’t know why authorities don’t do something about it,” he added.

Delhi Metro Rail Corporation spokesperson declined to have any information about the matter.

During evening rush hours, the services were hit on the Dwarka-Noida City Centre/Vaishali corridor. “Trains were running at a frequency of 10 to 15 minutes.

 There were no proper announcements by the Metro authorities at the stations,” said Monica Singh, a Delhi University student.

“The authorities should at least make proper announcements to avoid inconvenience to passengers,” she added while waiting at Pragati Maidan station around 5.30 pm.